The Natural Kitchen
The Natural Kitchen
Three day residential cookery course – 6th-8th March 2020
This three day plant based cookery class is geared towards making you a natural in the kitchen. Set in beautiful Nailsworth, a historic mill town in the Cotswolds, the residential cookery course includes two nights accommodation at the luxury Egypt Mill hotel. Immerse yourself for three wonderful days in hands-on cookery lessons and demonstrations, where we’ll create seasonal and organic feasts.
A taste of the cookery course
- Breakfast – green smoothies along with protein and veg-packed ways to start the day
- Discover plant based proteins such as tofu and tempeh and how to deliciously prepare them
- Salads for all seasons – including the basics of making dressings, composing salads and garnishes
- Soulful soups – made with homemade stock and seasonal vegetables
- Basics of sprouting – learn how to grow and use them
- Three course dinner menu – including tips on timing and presentation
- Introduction to fermentation – discover the world of friendly bacteria for gut health
- Sweet and natural – delicious and healthy recipes for a sweet tooth using a variety of unrefined sugars
- Quick, healthy and delicious meals – perfect for busy lives and families
- Organic vegetables and ingredients from local farms and suppliers
- Knife skills – a variety of cooking methods and vegetable preparation techniques
- Cupboard essentials for the natural kitchen
- Foundation in cooking a variety of grains, beans and pulses
- Complete printed pack of all recipes cooked over the course, so you can make them again and again at home
Arrival time 3pm
Begin your weekend by checking into the beautiful and sympathetically restored 16th century Egypt Mill. Erin will meet you at the hotel to make sure you’re comfortably settled in. Shortly after, we’ll make our way over to the cookery school which is a short 3 minute walk away.
Upon arrival to the cookery school we’ll enjoy afternoon tea while introductions are made. Afterwards, settle into the kitchen for a hands-on cookery fermentation lesson, followed by a lesson on simple yet fabulous seasonal suppers. We will then sit down to a 2 course meal.
First session 9:30am to 2:00pm
Awake and have breakfast in the wonderful surroundings at Egypt Mill before joining us in the kitchen.
The morning session will focus on a feast for the lunchbox. Busy lives mean we often grab something on the go, so this session will focus on nutritious food to fuel you through the day. Create soups, salads, nibbles and sweet treats to have on hand for a busy week and/or a lazy weekend. Recipes will be inspired by what’s available from local farms.
Free time 2:00pm-5:30pm
Second session 5:30pm to 9:00pm
After lunch there will be a break for you to relax and enjoy a walk in the woodland, or a nice cup of tea in a local cafe. You could even browse around Nailsworth’s stellar independent retailers. Once rested, it’s back in the kitchen to create a seasonal plant based 3 course dinner party menu – based on flavours of the world.
9:30am to 2:00pm
After a comfortable night in your luxury room, head over to the cookery school to learn about healthy breakfasts on the go.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and is often overlooked. The session will cover quick breakfasts for busy days, as well as creative ways to add vegetables and protein to your first meal of the day. After a short break, return to the kitchen for an inspirational lesson on creating memorable quick, healthy and delicious meat free meals.
For three days including all food, ingredients, equipment and accommodation:
- £450 per person for double occupancy
- £550 for single occupancy
- Non residential £300
The recipes will be plant based and vegan. Gluten-free options are available, but please let us know when you book.
Tea, coffee, herbal tea and homemade cordials will be available throughout the weekend, along with hand-picked organic wine for the evening meals.
The small print – please see our terms and conditions before booking.
Egypt Mill is an independently owned 16th Century luxury hotel, located in Nailsworth, the idyllic Cotswold town in Gloucestershire.
This sympathetically converted 16th Century Mill offers 32 individually designed ensuite bedrooms and a unique restaurant, which provides the most perfect setting for a refreshing break.
You simply won’t find a more characterful hotel to escape the stresses of everyday life. Of course all the usual essentials are supplied – not to forget the fluffy white towels, quality toiletries, in-room refreshments tray and the all important complimentary Wi-Fi. It even has a cozy fireplace situated in the pub to gather round and enjoy a night cap.
Situated on the banks of the River Frome, its picture-perfect scenic riverside location is the epitome of all that Gloucestershire has to offer. It’s only a short drive away from the cities of Bath, Bristol and Cheltenham, and within easy access from the M5 (J13) and M4 (J18).
Please be aware, due to the age and layout of this beautiful hotel there are a number of steps around the property. Hotel rooms are situated in the main mill and 3 separate buildings within the grounds.
The Veg Table - By Erin Baker
Vegetarian and vegan recipes inspired by tables around the world.
The Veg Table is a collection of recipes taught and cooked for thousands of people every year.
They’ve got the thumbs up in classes, parties, supper clubs and catered events. Fresh, full of flavour, and inspired by regional cuisine, they showcase a range of cookery techniques and a variety of ways to make meat-free meals tempting and indulgent.