Nettles are abundant now. Don’t be shy get out and harvest some to make a tasty and simple Nettle and Potato Curry. If you have never picked nettles before here are a few tips to make it a bit easier.
- Always wear your marigolds and have a basket or bag for your harvest! A pair of thick washing up gloves or gardening gloves does the trick to prevent your hands from getting stung.
- Find a patch of nettles that is away from the road and away from entrances that dog walkers may frequent.
- To pick, pinch off the first 2-3 set of leaves from the top of the plant, these are the tastiest and most nutritious, then place in your basket or bag.
- Place nettles in a bowl, boil the kettle and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Now the stingers are dead and you are in no danger.
- Drain the nettles and sort through to remove any debris, other plant material and any thick stems that have made it into the bowl. Now you are ready to your nettles.
NETTLE AND POTATO CURRY
Serves 2-4 Two for a main and 4 for a side dish
2 tbsp oil, sunflower, rapeseed or ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 inches fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 chilli, seeded and chopped, optional
1-2 tsp curry powder, depending on strength
450g potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
100g nettles, tops only
2 tbsp plain yoghurt (use soya yoghurt to make vegan)
juice of one lime
- Place the nettles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 2 minutes to remove the sting. Sort through removing any other plants, debris and stems. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Using a food processor or hand blender, combine onion, ginger, garlic and chilli. This can also be done with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat a pan over medium heat; add oil and let heat. Add seeds and allow to sputter and dance around for a minute or two, be careful not to burn. Add onion mixture, let cook for 5 minutes. Add curry powder and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Place potatoes in the frying pan and add just enough water to cover. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add nettles and cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Finish with yoghurt, lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve with rice or nan bread.