Quick, easy, nutritious and tasty is what I look for in a weekday meal. Sesame, Quinoa and Kale Bowl ticks all of those boxes. Quinoa is a complete protein, kale gives you all the benefits of dark leafy greens and sesame, as well as providing flavour, adds a kick of calcium. Great for Meatfree Monday or anyday!
Sesame, Quinoa and Kale Bowl
1 cup quinoa (170g)
2 cups water (500ml)
1 bunch kale, about 150g, roughly chopped
3-4 spring onions, white and most of green part, thinly sliced
3 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 orange, zest and juice
2 inch piece of ginger, juice only, finely grated and squeezed
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil with a pinch of salt. Add the quinoa, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let sit for 5 minutes, covered.
- Steam the kale for about 5-10 minutes.
- To toast the sesame seeds, heat a dry frying pan to a medium heat and add sesame seeds. Stir regularly until seeds start popping and smelling fragrant, this will take less than 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine toasted sesame oil, tamari, juice and zest of orange, and ginger juice. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Save some of spring onions, sesame seeds and carrots for garnish, then add the rest to the bowl.
- Add the quinoa and kale to the bowl and combine well. Top with remaining spring onions, sesame seeds and carrots. Enjoy!